httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Compiling and Installing document
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 21:30:21 GMT
On 11/10/06, Vincent Bray <noodlet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/install.html
>
> Is "Apache HTTPd" an old name now? It's used in multiple places in
> this document in contrast to "Apache HTTP Server".

We've never really settled on how we refer to it in the docs.  I find
"Apache HTTP Server" to be too long to use in some places, but it is
the official name.  You'll also find "Apache httpd" and just plain
"Apache" in some places.  I don't particularly like "Apache HTTPd".

> There's a typo in the "apr/apr-util >= 1.2" section (seperate).
>
> Also in this section, there's no mention of the new
> --with-included-apr configure option which makes the example build
> instructions obsolete. What's the policy here? Should the example be
> removed and replaced with --with-included-apr or should the < 2.2.3
> instructions be kept?

Put the new method with a note that it is available only starting in 2.2.3.

> The 'Install' section doesn't mention that the user may need to become
> root. Is that worth pointing out?

Sure.

Joshua.