httpd-docs mailing list archives

From robert.kenning...@yahoo.com
Subject Re: Significance of evaluation order?
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 20:33:36 GMT
 On 11/1/06, Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com> wrote:

 >    I (again) banged my head against Order today.

So did I a couple of months go.

 >  Is there a meaning to 'before'

 Regardless of whether the word 'before' is removed or revised.  I find the entire definition
difficult to read and jibe/validate against the examples.  However, if this is expressed in
terms of a flag being set in a particular order then it makes more sense to me. Here are some
proposed definitions:

Order Allow, Deny:  Initially a flag for each incoming URL is set to Deny.  Then all Allow
directives (i.e. "Allow foobar.org") are applied followed by all Deny directives regardless
or which order the Allow and Deny directives appear after the Order directive.

Order Deny, Allow:  Initially a flag for each incoming URL is set to Allow.  Then all Deny
directives (i.e. "Allow foobar.org") are applied followed by all Allow directives regardless
of which order the Allow and Deny directives appear after the Order directive.

 Ironically, now when I read the online definition I understand them.  But, the wording is
still obtuse and difficult to digest the first time it is read.

 Bob K.