httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Diff for Firefox rendering of source xml files
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:41:17 GMT
On 10/13/06, Jeff McAdams <jeffm@iglou.com> wrote:

> Basically all it does is replace "&nbsp;" with "&#160;".  For some
> reason, Firefox doesn't seem to find the entity definition for "&nbsp;".

It is my understanding (based on possibly-faulty long-term memory)
that we define certain entities in external dtds.  (See, for example,
style/lang.dtd.)  For security reasons, browser-based xml renderers
will not read external dtds, so this essentially prevents direct
rendering.

I don't think there is any easy workaround, since using only numeric
entities would make the source of the docs quite unreadable, and would
prevent the use of things like the version number entities defined in
style/version.ent.  But we're always interested in other ideas or
opinions.

Joshua.