httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Jeff McAdams <je...@iglou.com>
Subject Re: Diff for Firefox rendering of source xml files
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:48:28 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 10/13/06, Jeff McAdams <jeffm@iglou.com> wrote:
>
>> Basically all it does is replace "&nbsp;" with "&#160;".  For some
>> reason, Firefox doesn't seem to find the entity definition for "&nbsp;".
>
> It is my understanding (based on possibly-faulty long-term memory)
> that we define certain entities in external dtds.  (See, for example,
> style/lang.dtd.)  For security reasons, browser-based xml renderers
> will not read external dtds, so this essentially prevents direct
> rendering.

> I don't think there is any easy workaround, since using only numeric
> entities would make the source of the docs quite unreadable, and would
> prevent the use of things like the version number entities defined in
> style/version.ent.  But we're always interested in other ideas or
> opinions.

Yes, all those thoughts went through my head when I was looking at this.
 And, yes, I saw that it was in lang.dtd.  I had not realized that there
were other entities that would blow these things up.

So, I would agree...probably a fool's errand to start down that path.

Ah well, couple of things learned, so that's a bit of a useful endeavor,
I guess.
--
Jeff McAdams
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."