httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@RCBowen.Com>
Subject Apache docs wiki
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:38:13 GMT
This has come up before, so no doubt some folks have already made up
their minds, having seen the subject line.

Jorge Schrauwen, who has written a number of httpd tutorials,
articles, etc., was asking on #httpd-dev about the possibility of a
docs wiki, where people can provide configuration samples, ideas,
suggestions, mini-howtos, which would eventually feed into the
official docs. He's planning to do this anyways, but wondered if
there was a way that he could do it within the confines of the
existing docs project, rather than hosting it himself. Scratch an
itch, and give back to the community at the same time.

I'd like to propose that we create a portion of wiki.apache.org for
this purpose, and give it a test run for a while, see if it works,
and make a determination after a while on whether it is indeed
valuable. I would be glad to be the (moderator? overseer? big
brother?) whatever the term is, and check in on it for
appropriateness and correctness of the contributions.

I created http://rewrite.drbacchus.com/ specifically for this purpose
- as a scratchpad for myself - and it has developed into a more
useful resource than I planned, which is to say that folks other than
myself are using it for reference. And the goal there is still to
have this stuff feed back into the docs.

Having an official place to do this prevents (or reduces) the
proliferation of alternate doc sites with incorrect, misleading, or
outdated information. At least, that's my hope.

Thoughts?

--
rbowen@rcbowen.com
Come to ApacheCon US 2006!