httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: 2.2 FAQ Docs
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 13:50:18 GMT
On 8/8/06, Tony Stevenson <tony@pc-tony.com> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
>  I am looking at the FAQ for 2.2, and looking back at the old 1.3 version
> for a comparison.
>  I will submit some patches and updates for the 2.2 version shortly, but I
> wanted to gauge opinion first.
>
>  I like the way that the 1.3 FAQ was broken down into more
> topics/categories, and I think this helps people who are looking in a
> certain topic range.
>  Specifically things like:
>

> Building, and Installation
> Configuration
> Error Log
> Features (SSI, ModRewrite, SSL, etc)
>  I already have a handful of items that can be broken down into these
> topics, and be added to the FAQ.
>  A lot of these items have been gleamed from time in #apache, or within the
> course of my experimentation :)
>
>  So thoughts, and comments appreciated.

Go for it.  The 2.2 FAQ is certainly under-loved.

One note: My philosophy is that the existence of a huge FAQ that must
be read by every user is a symptom of insufficient or badly designed
docs.  The reason a question is frequently asked may be because the
docs don't sufficiently cover the topic, or the topic is too hard to
find in the docs.  So I would prefer not to have an enormous FAQ with
tons of text.  Instead, I would favor restricting it to the most
crucial and common questions, and answering them mainly by providing
links into the main docs.

Joshua.