httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Jeff Trawick" <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject new entries in mime.types for application/octet-string - applicability of IANA registry?
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:32:50 GMT
newbie warning ;)

We currently have

application/octet-stream	bin dms lha lzh exe class so dll dmg

I understand that in general we reject changes to mime.types if it
isn't for registered types (or registered extensions for those
types?), but does that apply to the file extensions for which we'll
return application/octet-stream?

(I'm failing to draw a line between dll and the IANA registry, for example.)

I had a question about cab as a possible file extension for
application/octet-stream, but it turns out that there is a more
specific media type for that -- vnd.ms-cab-compressed.  So it wouldn't
make sense to declare it as application/octet-steam.

jar is another question: Is there a reason not to add jar to the set
of extensions for application/octet-stream?

Thanks!