httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: /docs rewrite rules
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:26:48 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 6/27/06, Noirin Plunkett <noirin@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:48:56AM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
>> >
>> > Any other solution would result in MANY broken links (due to changes
>> > in doc structure, not to mention the fact that some people still
>> > really do want to link to the 1.3 docs).
>>
>> Other people's broken links aren't really our problem.
>
> Ahhhhh (hear me screaming), of course they are ;-)
> http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI
> One of the most important characteristic of URIs are that they refer
> to a specific resource permanently.  That is FAR more important than
> the fact that having /docs/something map to 1.3 is not "pretty" from a
> visual perspective.

Yet who cares?  If the formerly docs/mod/mod_alias.html becomes the 2.2
version of the same document, there should be no issue.

Unfortunately, docs/mod/mod_access.html goes *poof*.

So if the old pattern URL's always go to the now-current release branch,
do we want to start creating some redirects from old-module-name into our
new-module-name?

Bill