httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Noirin Plunkett <noi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: /docs rewrite rules
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 14:58:19 GMT
On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 03:48:53PM +0100, Hiroaki Kawai wrote:
> I see.
>
> IMHO, we should not use /docs/mod/mod_xx.html any
> more and leave it as-is for historical reason.

If we want to not-use /docs/something, we should get rid of it
altogether. If we don't want to get rid of it, it should point to the
most recent (stable) version.

> By the way, in which page are you want to use
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_xx.html
> syntax? Why you want to make it to point the
> recent version?

These URLs exist, all around the internet, for various things. The help
bot in #apache uses them, for example.

It should point to the most recent version because otherwise people are
always looking at old docs, really, why do we /have/ newer versions, if
it's not because they're better - in some way - than the old?

> We have already have the URL
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_xx.html
> which means the current developing version's
> documentation. If we want a COOL URI for
> the "current documentation", how about this:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_xx.html

It's not about a cool address - I'm not worried about that.

It's about where the default redirects to.

Note that removing /docs/something altogether, and forcing users to
include a version, would satisfy me too, although it'd probably result
in even more broken links for users - for those who are worried about
such things.

Noirin