httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Fw: 2.2 Announcement comma - Please no comma before 'and'
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 19:44:08 GMT

Chris and/or Diana Johns wrote:

> I have yet to be convinced that the use and no-use of a comma before 'and'
> is just a matter of differing styles.

I agree with Colm that this is very low on the priority list.  There are
enough *major* grammatical and spelling errors in the docs to deal with
(not to mention actual content ;-).

But because I'm somewhat pedantic with respect to grammar, I can tell
you that both Strunk and White (the classic reference) and the more
modern Garner (A Dictionary of Modern American Usage) support the
"serial comma" because it doesn't cost much and it eliminates confusion
in some contexts.  But it is a debated question and the comma is
sometimes dropped in less formal contexts like newspapers.

For the apache docs, use whatever you want.  I'll continue to use the
serial comma myself.

Joshua.