httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: /docs/ redirect and 2.2
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:46:49 GMT
* Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:

>   (c) just change the /docs/ -> /docs/1.3/ redirect to become /docs/ ->
>       /docs/2.2/

Ehm. That is what you've suggested initially...?

> How come? If someone requests invoking.html.fr they'll get the 1.3 FR
> version.  If someone requests invoking.html they'll get redirected to
> 2.2/invoking.html and negotiation will happen as normal.

People should not request invoking.html.fr directly, but fr/invoking.html.
But the fr/ directory does not exist (it's an Alias). More importantly,
some browsers use the Content-Location header to request invoking.html.fr
after negotiation, which could result in the behaviour that the user is
requesting 2.2/invoking.html first, but 1.3/invoking.html.fr if clicks on
an anchor on the site. Perhaps I'm missing something here.

However. The main point for redirecting docs/* to docs/1.3/* was not to
break URL semantics for links out there. If we decide now to ignore this,
we can do anything we want. My preferation in this case is to put the
docs-project site or an overview to docs/ and drop all heuristic redirects.

Another idea is to give the user the choice when he requests ambigous URLs.
We just would deliver him a 410 page (so search engines drop that) and show
him, which docs are available in 1.3/2.0/2.2. Plus big red letters that he
should update his bookmarks and that. That could be built up easily with
mod_rewrite and mod_include.

nd
--
"Eine Eieruhr", erklärt ihr Hermann, "besteht aus einem Ei. Du nimmst
das Ei und kochst es. Wenn es hart ist, sind fünf Minuten um. Dann weißt