httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Noirin Plunkett <fireb...@nerdchic.net>
Subject Re: Error documentation translated to Irish
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2005 20:22:01 GMT
On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 07:53:24PM +0000, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 06:45:00PM +0000, Noirin Plunkett wrote:
> > I've just finished translating the error docs to Irish.
>
> Thar barr!
>
> > Any Irish speakers out there, with the time to look them over?
>
> At least one :-)
>
> > The patch is attached.
>
> Some nits follow, mostly based on translations that I'm more used to, or
> are slightly more common.
>
> Any reason in particular why you used 8859-1 and entities rather that
> literal 8859-15 encodings? Doesn't really matter, just wondering.

Everything else I was looking at in the file was 8859-1 =) I guess
we need to update the meta-docs! In the meantime, I've changed them to
-15 anyway.

> > +<!--#set var="TITLE" value="Acmhainn do&uacute;s&aacute;idteach a thuilleadh!"
>
> How about "Achmainn imithe"?

Sounds good.

> > +  <!--#if expr="$HTTP_REFERER" -->
> > +
> > +    Cur in &iacute;l d'&uacute;adar an
>
> I think that's a typo for "Cur in &uacute;l do &uacute;dar an"

Got me there - all those acutes had my brain in a bit of a knot. I'm
pretty sure it's uadar though, with two a's (and the fada, but damned if
I'm typing any more of those just now).

> > +    M&aacute; leanf&aacute; nasc &oacute; leathanach iasachta,t&eacute;igh
i dteaghmh&aacute;il

> as-d&aacute;ta maybe?

Sure

> > +    N&iacute; tacha&iacute;ocht ag an fhreastala&iacute; don cine&aacute;il
me&aacute;n

> "tacha&iacute;onn an" maybe?

Yep - that was supposed to be a Nil, not Ni, but your version works
fine.

> > +Body:----------ga--
> > +<!--#set var="TITLE" value="Athraitheach intr&aacute;chta!"
> > +--><!--#include virtual="include/top.html" -->
> > +
> > +    Is &eacute; ceann de na athraitha&iacute;
> > +    don aon&aacute;n iarraithe acmhainn
> > +    intr&aacute;chta f&eacute;in.
> > +    Rochtain dodh&eacute;anta.
>
> Congratulations on being able to translate that at all!

I hardly understood the English!

> > +<!--#set var="TITLE" value="Aidhm doaimsighthe!"
>
> since this is the most common error, maybe "ar iarraidh"?

Sounds good to me.

> Typo for leathanach
> dean should be d&eacute;an, I think.
> What about "Neamh-cheadaithe"?
> I think you're missing an 'r' there :-)
> dean should be d&eacute;an again, I think.
> how about "thuasthrutha"?
> "Modh neamhcheadaithe" might be more descriptive.

All fixed - my translation of upstream actually came from a geography
dictionary =)

> Hmmm, script is hard to translate in this context, but how about: "i
> gcl&aacute;r CGI" ? Does that make sense.

I stuck with script, because that's what http://www.acmhainn.ie/ include
in their dictionary of computing terms. I think it makes more sense than
clar, but if you'd rather clar, I'll change it.

> typo for m&iacute;cheart :)

It's the fadas, I tell you! They're making me go blind!
Updated patch attached.
Thanks a mill,
Noirin