httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Chris and/or Diana Johns" <chris-di...@thejohnses.plus.com>
Subject 2.2 Announcement comma - Please no comma before 'and'
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2005 23:07:27 GMT
With regard to Noirin Plunkett's suggestion for consistency (unless it was
'tongue in cheek'), I'd suggest that consistency would be better achieved by
getting Harvard to take out any 'Harvard commas' that precede the word 'and'
in other instances similar to the example given, which was:

> >We consider this release to be the best version of Apache available and
> >encourage users of all prior versions to upgrade.

to which Noirin had suggested:
> 'For consistency with the Harvard commas elsewhere in the file, there
> should be a comma after available.'

Given a fresh piece of paper I'd see no need for the suggested comma in such
a circumstance.
I do see a need to not have such a comma in such a simple sentence
construction. My received teaching on this matter over the last 54 odd years
seems still to be the correct course.

If 'Harvard' won't agree, then possibly a better way to avoid the
inconsistency, if that's so important, would be to spread the sentiments
expressed over two sentences, viz.

"
We consider this release to be the best version of Apache available.
We therefore encourage users of all prior versions to upgrade.
"

But I'd much prefer 'Harvard' to have written English in the first place.

Chris Johns