httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: make_cert.sh?
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 06:50:15 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Paul Querna wrote:
>> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>>  should we restore the missing feature to actually help folks create
>>> their first cert/key with a support/ .sh/.bat file to generate a key
>>> and a cert?
>>
>> No, I think we should give a URL to our online documentation that tells
>> you how.
>
> That's one solid, and objective suggestion.  After all, openssl, for
> all it's wrinkles, is really not that hard to use...
>
> ...anyone on the Docs team want to write something up?  There's really
> no call for an offsite link.

I agree, we should make it part of our docs. We already have:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.1/ssl/ssl_faq.html#aboutcerts

All the ideas are there, it just needs to be distilled into a simple
page with the steps for key generation and where to get more info (That
FAQ, other mod_ssl docs?)

On a separate note, several things inside the SSL FAQ are completely
outdated and seem to only apply to 1.3...

-Paul