httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Moving Docs URLs
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:54:27 GMT
At 12:48 PM 7/19/2005, Joshua Slive wrote:
>Erik Abele wrote:
>>>The point of the cgi script is to provide not a redirect, but  another page
>>>(with status 300 so far), which points to all the different versions.
>>
>>Ugh.  Please just send the 2.x stuff directly where it belongs.  There is certainly
no ambiguity there that needs resolving.

>I'm also -0.666 on the whole CGI script idea.

I'll vote -1 on the CGI idea; minotaur is overtaxed enough(!)...

At 02:13 PM 7/19/2005, Astrid Ke├čler wrote:

>I'm a litte bit unhappy only with 1.3 and could live with a change to
>docs-1.3. This would fit the namespace and would give us the possibility
>to add some extra information at /docs. We do not need a script to lead
>the people to the new urls. httpd itself can do this.

exactly!  +1 for remapping /docs-1.3/, but use Apache httpd module
features; let's not throw work on our infrastructure.

Remember this aught to map for proxies as well.  Although docs
aren't widely mirrored, we know our proxy admin friends aren't
keen on running cgi's - they are happy to serve our pages.
Straightforward .htaccess syntax they probably would apply.

Bill