httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Moving Docs URLs
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:14:42 GMT
Astrid Ke├čler wrote:

> Not sure, but didn't we had a similar discussion some time ago? I can't
> find it now. :/

Yes, we've had this conversation a number of times, and each time agreed
(or at least majority) that it was a good idea.

> Like Joshua I am against changing the URLs. We have docs-2.0 and docs-2.1
> they are really fine. No need to change them.

Well, having a dozen top-level documentation directories in version
2.12.0 will be kind of annoying, I think.

> I'm a litte bit unhappy only with 1.3 and could live with a change to
> docs-1.3. This would fit the namespace and would give us the possibility
> to add some extra information at /docs. We do not need a script to lead
> the people to the new urls. httpd itself can do this.
>
> The only advantage, a CGI-script would have, is that it could do some
> search over all doc versions and offer choices. I think, this is
> something, google (or some other search engine) can do as well. Let's
> use the existing resources.

Yes. That's what the script does. That's why it's a script and not just
a series of rewrite rules. It is doing translations (like mod_imap to
mod_imagemap) as well as detecting modules that no longer exist
(mod_auth_db).

--Rich