httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: Auto-docs rewrite
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:40:37 GMT
* Rich Bowen wrote:

> Rich Bowen wrote:
> > While we're on the topic of docs URLs, I've got a feature that I'd like
> > to have on the docs site. I've got it already at
> > http://fajita.drbacchus.com/ and it's like the php.net auto-docs URLs.
> > http://php.net/ANY_FUNCTION goes to the documentation for that
> > function. Likewise, http://fajita.drbacchus.com/AllowOverride goes to
> > the docs for AllowOverride, and likewise for every configuration
> > directive.
> >
> > I'm doing this with a simple RewriteMap directive. I'd like to have
> > this same functionality on httpd.apache.org.

So httpd.apache.org/SomeDirective?

Where would it go? 1.3? 2.0? 2.1? 2.2? Just the latest stable?
If we get a consensus on this I have no problem with that stuff in general.

> Config:
>
> RewriteMap directive2url \
>    dbm:/www/vhosts/drbacchus/fajita/scripts/rewritemap.txt
> RewriteMap tolower int:tolower
>
> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/(index.html)?$
> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/(urls|to|be|excluded)
> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
> RewriteRule ^/([^/]*)$ \
>   ${directive2url:${tolower:$1}|http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0}
> [NE,R,L]

Well, that should be made less complex, but I get the idea :-)

> The rewrite map file itself is 359 lines, and so making it a dbm seems
> to be a really good idea, particularly since Paul went and created the
> shiny new httxt2dbm utility. The file will change very infrequently
> (when a directive is added/removed) so maintenance is not a big hassle
> for anyone.
>
> Entries in the map file look like:
> aliasmatch http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_alias.html#AliasMatch
>
> and are generated directly from the documentation XML by a little (18
> line) perl script.

Heck, I'm trying to reduce the use of perl in the docs build ;-) We can
easily do this with xslt (just like the directive list is generated).

Further we could include the module names themselves as well (with and
without prefixes).

I think, we should generate that text file then, check it in and transform
it to dbm on the server. (or just leave it as is -- text maps are cached in
the server)

nd
--
"Umfassendes Werk (auch fuer Umsteiger vom Apache 1.3)"
                                          -- aus einer Rezension

<http://pub.perlig.de/books.html#apache2>