httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject RewriteMap dbm:
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:51:44 GMT
I'm having difficulty with the script in the mod_rewrite docs for
generating dbm files. In particular, Perl seems to want to force me to
upgrade to Perl 5.8.7 in order to install NDBM_File. That doesn't appear
to be something that I actually want to do.

I found the script below (slightly modified from the original) which
gives me what I want, and the resulting files (named whatever.pag and
whatever.dir) make Apache happy and willing to rewrite.

#!/usr/bin/perl
#converts a source txt-DB to the SDBM-formatted DB
use SDBM_File;
open(SFILE, $ARGV[0]) || die "\n Cannot open file: $!\n";
dbmopen(%s,$ARGV[0],0666);
while (<SFILE>) {
  chop;
  ($key,@name)=split(' ',$_);
  $s{$key} = join(' ',@name);
  print " $key [ @name ] \n";
}
close(SFILE);
dbmclose(%s);

I guess the question I'm asking is whether there's any particular reason
to use one dbm Perl module over another, and if it's reasonable to alter
the script to use a version of the module that doesn't reqiure
reinstalling all of Perl, or if I should list both versions of the
script with associated disclaimers and explanations.

I, for one, was glad just to get something working without having to
install a new (development) Perl, which seems like a *stupid*
requirement for a module this simple.

Thoughts?