httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <>
Subject Re: Transforming of XML files to LaTeX
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2005 00:22:15 GMT

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, JustySmile wrote:

> Hello,
> I am a student from Germany and I search for a nice way to transform XML
> files to PDF. I have heard of your Documentation Project as I use the Apache
> HTTP Server and I was wondering how you do it. I have checked your
> "Documentation Format and Transformation" page and it says "The PDF version
> of the docs is generated by transforming the xml files to LaTeX using the
> "latex-en" Ant target". Can you tell me what the "latex-en" Ant target is and
> where I can find more information about it?

Read the part of that page about checking out the docs-build svn
repository.  Then also take a look at the docs/manual/style/latex/
directory under the httpd distribution.

You'll find that we are using an xsl transformation to get from xml to
latex.  It is not possible to transform arbitrary html to latex using xsl
because of some differences in the semantics (mostly around tables and
<pre> sections).  (And it certainly isn't possible to transform arbitrary
xml.)  But it is possible to do a half-decent job with our particular
subset of html.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message