httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: httpd 2.0 documentation French translation ?
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:01:16 GMT
* alain B wrote:

> So, i contacted Vincent Deffontaines to know what to do with this few
> month old archive. He says this one could be plainly reuse for a review.
> I'm not familiar with the SVN / CVS protocol yet, but i'm ready to plan
> a french localization.

You're welcome :-)

> André, can you confirm to me the working folder can be found here :
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/ ? Actualy, i don't
> understand why there are versions 1.3, 2.0, and 2.1 (alpha) on the home
> page http://httpd.apache.org/.

No. We moved to subversion some time ago and now the cvs repository is only
for (historical) reference. We have three maintained httpd versions (1.3,
2.0, 2.1) and so we have 3 docs versions.

2.1 is the version, where the development happens, and some day it will be
2.2 and stable (and splitted from the main trunk, which will become 2.3
then). 2.0 and 1.3 are more or less (feature) freezed. Regarding the docs
translations, most people prefer to translate 2.1 and 2.0, probably because
it's more easy (XML) and consistent and 2.x will be used more and more.

Anyway, if you never worked with subversion, I suggest to start here:
http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html#anon-svn and have a glance
over the svn book (<http://svnbook.red-bean.com/>). Of course, if you don't
know further, just ask here ;)

The docs are located here:

 * 2.1: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/
 * 2.0: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/branches/2.0.x/docs/
 * 1.3:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/branches/1.3.x/htdocs/manual/

Well, I also recommend the transformation page:
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/docsformat.html>. It describes how to
work with our docs build system (2.1 and 2.0). Basically you need the build
tools, java and perl.

Further note, that the build tools try to check if a translation is
outdated. To make this possible, you need to add a comment to your
translation, where you note, what subversion revision your translation is
based on. All translations have such a comment on the top (<!-- English
Revision: xxxx --> or <!-- English Revision xxxx:yyyy (outdated) -->), so
just have a look at, say manual/bind.xml.de :) These comments are useful
for you (the translator), because you can just go into the directory and
diff the English version, to see what was changed, like:

svn diff -r xxxx:yyyy englishfile.xml

Don't worry, once set up correctly, it should be quite easy to work with.

nd
--
$_=q?tvc!uif)%*|#Bopuifs!A`#~tvc!Xibu)%*|qsjou#Kvtu!A`#~tvc!KBQI!)*|~
tvc!ifmm)%*|#Qfsm!A`#~tvc!jt)%*|(Ibdlfs(~  # What the hell is JAPH? ;