httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: document location using SVN
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:03:27 GMT
--On Wednesday, January 5, 2005 1:53 PM -0500 Jeff Trawick
<trawick@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm guessing that somebody forgot the snafu in cvs where 1.3 docs were
> separate from 1.3 code, resulting in the 1.3 docs being accidentally
> omitted from svn.

Partially right: the 1.3 docs weren't separate at one point, so they have
overlapping branch info with the 1.3 code.  Furthermore, the 2.0 docs were
*copied* from the RCS files.  (The httpd-2.0 code repository was a clean
import rather than a copy.)  So, the 2.0 docs had the same branch info for
everything up until the 1.3/2.0 branch point.  Hence, you can't import both
of them cleanly.

About every single mistake possible with copying in CVS is illustrated in
the httpd-docs-1.3 module.  Sigh.

> Personally I have no idea how to get the 1.3 docs into the 1.3 svn
> branch and maintain old revision history.

Doable, but it's a significant amount of effort.  The two easiest solutions
would be: 1) abandon the docs entirely (see Rich's post), or 2) ditch the
history (they will be available with CVS) and just import the latest docs
into the 1.3 branch.  -- justin