httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Apache Documentation available in ThoutReader format]
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:56:20 GMT
On 17.01.2005, at 14:18, Rich Bowen wrote:

> FYI
>
> I mentioned this back in August, and folks expressed their opinions
> pretty clearly. But I wanted to forward this along, just to let you
> know. I don't expect anyone's opinion has changed.

I can only speak for myself but no, not really - see my comments
below...

Overwhelming?
http://www.osoft.com/store/productdetails.php?pid=43&cPath=7&cid=7&it=5
shows 237 downloads so far and a total of two comments, hmm... and
they're using The Feather, arghh!

> We now have documentation for
> Apache, PHP, MySQL, BSD, Perl, and some Linux. In December, MySQL
> adopted
> the ThoutReader? as an approved format for their documentation and now
> offer
> it from their website. We would like to accomplish the same thing with
> Apache as an option to your current documentation format. You do not
> have to
> be online to read documentation with the ThoutReader?. We developed an
> XSLT
> to convert Docbook to the ThoutReader? format and we would be happy to
> give
> this to Apache.org for future use.

Is this an offer to build the stuff which would be needed or is this
just some sort of hand-waving? I wouldn't have a problem with an
additional, properly integrated doc format but this sounds very much
like: "please do this so that we can increase our profits", not nice...

Every bit of our documentation is available in XML through different
channels (SVN, rsync, ...) so why can't they just figure out how to get
it transformed into their format, send in a patch and hope the best -
just as everybody else does?

> You and Ken Coar are the only two guys I have met on the Apache
> Documentation Project and I am not sure how to proceed. I believe
> there is a
> documentation committee and I would ask that you take a moment to
> download
> the Apache Documentation in the ThoutReader? format and try it out. We
> would
> like to partner with you on the documentation project and believe the
> ThoutReader? has a lot to offer the open source community. We are
> particularly interested in any other content you might like to publish
> in
> the ThoutReader? format that could benefit the Apache community.

I really don't like this sort of 'back-channel prodding' - hey, we have
a website with a lot of information on how to contact us, there's even
a mailing list and they can just send a message to it, so where's the
problem?

Cheers,
Erik

[Rich, this isn't anything against you - I'm just commenting on the
original, forwarded message...]