httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject [Fwd: Apache Documentation available in ThoutReader format]
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:18:14 GMT

FYI

I mentioned this back in August, and folks expressed their opinions
pretty clearly. But I wanted to forward this along, just to let you
know. I don't expect anyone's opinion has changed.

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: Apache Documentation available in ThoutReader format
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:10:26 -0800
From: Mark D. Carey <mcarey@osoft.com>
To: <rbowen@rcbowen.com>

Rich,

Sorry for the second message. The first one bounced back to me as
undeliverable. Original message follows:

My partner Gary Varnell and I met you at the OS convention in Portland, OR
this past July. We are the guys who developed the program called the
ThoutReader?, the open source documentation platform that allows developers
to browse ? search ? bookmark ? and append all of their OS documentation and
favorite reference books in one common format. [The ThoutReader? is licensed
under the GNU General Public License (GPL) Version 2, June 1991.

I am writing because we need your assistance. Yesterday we posted to our
website www.osoft.com the Apache 2.0 documentation in the ThoutReader?
format and the response has been overwhelming. We now have documentation for
Apache, PHP, MySQL, BSD, Perl, and some Linux. In December, MySQL adopted
the ThoutReader? as an approved format for their documentation and now offer
it from their website. We would like to accomplish the same thing with
Apache as an option to your current documentation format. You do not have to
be online to read documentation with the ThoutReader?. We developed an XSLT
to convert Docbook to the ThoutReader? format and we would be happy to give
this to Apache.org for future use.

You and Ken Coar are the only two guys I have met on the Apache
Documentation Project and I am not sure how to proceed. I believe there is a
documentation committee and I would ask that you take a moment to download
the Apache Documentation in the ThoutReader? format and try it out. We would
like to partner with you on the documentation project and believe the
ThoutReader? has a lot to offer the open source community. We are
particularly interested in any other content you might like to publish in
the ThoutReader? format that could benefit the Apache community.

Rich, you also indicated some interest in publishing a book electronically.
The ThoutReader? would be a great choice for you. We are in the process of
converting ALL of the Manning titles into the ThoutReader? format.

I look forward to hearing back from you.
Thanks,

Mark

Mark D. Carey
President
OSoft, Inc.
253-284-0475
mcarey@osoft.com
2511 South Hood Street
Tacoma, WA  98402

- --
Unix - Twice the power, and none of the subtlety