httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: [STATUS] (httpd-docs-1.3) Wed Dec 22 23:45:13 EST 2004
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 14:44:36 GMT
* Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Joshua Slive wrote:
> >> Shall we revisit this and try to come up with a solution that isn't
> >> dependent on http?
> >
> > Sure.  Drop the docs from the default tarball and point people to our
> > many more-useful formats (web, ms-help, pdf, etc).
>
> I assume you're joking.  Someone who needs the documentation, and who
> can't access it online because they downloaded the software to be
> installed offline, is going to feel warm and fuzzy when it finds
> out that not only is there no documentation in the tarball, but it
> has to go back online and choose a format of docco to be downloaded
> and installed separately.
>
> Who are we writing this docco for?  Ourselves?  Or for people who
> need it?  Are we formatting it to make it easier for us to maintain,
> or for them to use?

I find nothing wrong with supplying extra documentation tarballs instead of
bundling it with the code. Actually, the more translations we offer, the
bigger will every httpd download grow (it already takes more space than the
code, btw). It's more than reasonable to separate the docs from the code
and supply a docs download link (or more than one) in download.cgi.

I assume, don't have an ISDN or modem link, where some MB more or less *do*
make a difference.

nd
--
print "Just Another Perl Hacker";