httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Yoshiki Hayashi <yosh...@xemacs.org>
Subject How out of date is misc/rewriteguide.xml?
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:23:43 GMT
I started translating some stuff under misc and I noticed
it's way out of date.  For example, there's "Moved
DocumentRoot" example in
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.1/misc/rewriteguide.html.en#ToC2

The example configuration is

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule   ^/$  /e/www/  [R]

and it even goes to say it cannot be done by mod_alias
because all mod_alias con do is prefix matching.  But
mod_alias can do more than mere prefix matching and even
with my limited mod_rewrite and mod_alias knowledge, I know
it is equivalent to

RedirectMatch ^/$ /e/www/

After glancing through the whole document, I'm ++1 to Rich's
idea to write our rewrite cookbook (actually, I prefer more
general url mapping cookbook.  mod_alias is powerful enough
unless you really need to use black magic).

In the meantime, I'm tempted to rip things that can also be
handled by mod_alias off of rewriteguide and use it as seeds
to populate urlmappingguide or whatever the new name of that
document.  I'm not very comfortable that we are knowingly
recommending the use of mod_rewrite where mod_alias is
sufficient.  Opinions?

I also want to clean up the rewriteguide docs further at
later time, but I want to start small and finish one thing
at a time.

--
Yoshiki Hayashi