httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Mads Toftum <m...@toftum.dk>
Subject Re: How out of date is misc/rewriteguide.xml?
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:36:22 GMT
On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 07:07:30AM -0500, Rich Bowen wrote:
> Well, I'm obviously in favor of this. It's one of those things that has
> been on the "we should really do this" list for a while. What is holding
> it back is, I think, that it's such a big topic. I started my wiki
> (rewrite.drbacchus.com) as an attempt to categorize some of the things
> that I thought the doc should talk about. But, you'll notice, the
> "beginner" section is completely empty.

We've been talking about this as a topic for the hackathon for the last
couple of years. I seem to recall that one of the things that keep us
from doing this (other than being insanely busy preparing for a all the
presentations) is that we never found a good way to structure the
rewrite docs/guide.

> Also, almost all of the stuff in the existing rewrite guide is really
> good stuff. There are a few things which are outdated and should go
> away. And a few things are so complicated that most people just skim
> past them on their way to the things that they understand. So
> reorganization is at least as important as new content.

Agreed. I think it might be the best idea to split the doc into a short
"getting started" tutorial and a howto document (possibly a simple and
an advanced howto doc).

> Perhaps a conversation of exactly what we want to do would be useful,
> and then we can have a little division of labor and actually get it done
> before yet another year passes on this conversation.

+1 - I have a few cycles to spend on this in the next couple of months
and I have some potentially useful content from my apachecon talks.

vh

Mads Toftum