httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Yoshiki Hayashi <yosh...@xemacs.org>
Subject Re: Web site translation
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 01:24:04 GMT
Astrid Ke├čler <kess@kess-net.de> writes:

>>   Now that we have true version control software, I think
>>   the way to go is to create a branch like Paul did.
>>   I'm going to create
>>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/site/branches/translation
>>   unless someone objects.
>>   Is there any policy on how to create and use branch?
>
> Hm, please, don't use branches. This would differ completely from the
> way we do translation at our documentation.

Please see my other mail.  It's for the improvement of build
system, not for the actual translation work.

> Let's use the same structure
> - and as well the same build system. I would prefer a general xslt based
> build system. It is really flexible and most of the work has already
> been done.

I already stated my opinion so I don't reiterate myself
here.  But I do object to the tone of argument from XSLT
camp.  My work is just an evolution along the current web
site framework.  The developers see no change in how they
work except maybe longer build time due to the additional
transformation of the translation of modified files to
include out of date notice.

On the other hand, adopting documentation system used by
manual for web is a big change, especially for those who
have only worked with web site docs and not manual docs.  If
there will be a consensus to move to it, that'd be great.
But XSLT people have to sell the idea to developers.  It's
not an already set course we decided long time ago.

--
Yoshiki Hayashi