httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Web site translation
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 06:23:50 GMT
--On Monday, November 29, 2004 11:44 AM +0900 Yoshiki Hayashi
<yoshiki@xemacs.org> wrote:

> More than a year after I proposed web site translation, I
> finally sat down for a while and did necessary coding to add
> translation support.

BTW, this might need to be discussed on dev@httpd as well.  This is going to
affect all developers who touch the site.

>   Does anyone object to the direction we are going? i.e.,
>   having translation of web site at all?

No, not really.  However, I'm concerned about how long the translations could
stay out of sync.  There's going to be times when we try to post an urgent
notice and if the translator is asleep (or AWOL for a few weeks), then that's
troublesome.  One idea: perhaps when we change the English version of a page,
we pull all translations until the individual translation is sync'd up?

>   Now that we have true version control software, I think
>   the way to go is to create a branch like Paul did.
>   I'm going to create
>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/site/branches/translation
>   unless someone objects.
>   Is there any policy on how to create and use branch?

That's fine, I guess.  However, if we have two branches going: one for css
deployment and translation, that could end up being nasty to merge back
together....

>   I extended Anakia to do some new things like providing
>   context to get available languages and getting the
>   destination filename.  I'd like to put the source code
>   somewhere in Subversion repository.  Where shoud I put it?
>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/site-build looks like a
>   good candidate to me.

First, you should post the source code changes either to here or dev@httpd so
that we can review it.  I'm not sure what exactly you changed.  Did you change
Velocity?  Or, just the Velocity templates that we used?  -- justin