httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Astrid Ke├čler <k...@kess-net.de>
Subject Re: elements <glossary> and <phonetic>
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:25:52 GMT
> * Yoshiki Hayashi <yoshiki@xemacs.org> wrote:

>> Well, the intent of kess was pretty clear to me but you
>> probably need a little bit of German knowledge to understand
>> it.  If you look at kess's example, the only place phonetic
>> elements are uesd are English word in German which is
>> pronounced as English word.  I don't think those will be
>> added to English documents although I don't object if
>> someone did.

> Yeah, that was exactly the intention. I don't think that we should put them
> into the English version.

As nd said, this was my intention. The <phonetic> element is for
glossary usage only. Whenever we feel, we should explain a pronunciation
elsewhere within the documentation, then this term is a good candidate
for the glossary. As well, phonetic elements are not limited to ipa. And
they are not required, just nice to have.

Also ... I think, the glossary is the only document within the manual,
that may differ from its english original. It may be neccessary to
explain some terms for Japanese, German or e.g. Spanish people, which
are clear for English-speaking people.

Yoshiki, thank you for your very good explanation :)

Kess