httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: Web site translation
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 01:33:28 GMT
[bringing this over from docs@ for a dev@ ping]

Yoshiki Hayashi wrote:
> I already stated my opinion so I don't reiterate myself
> here.  But I do object to the tone of argument from XSLT
> camp.  My work is just an evolution along the current web
> site framework.  The developers see no change in how they
> work except maybe longer build time due to the additional
> transformation of the translation of modified files to
> include out of date notice.
>
> On the other hand, adopting documentation system used by
> manual for web is a big change, especially for those who
> have only worked with web site docs and not manual docs.  If
> there will be a consensus to move to it, that'd be great.
> But XSLT people have to sell the idea to developers.  It's
> not an already set course we decided long time ago.

As a person in the 'XSLT camp', I am not against making changes to the
current build system for the site to support translations. I just feel
that we will end up duplicating large ammounts of work when or if we
convert to an XSLT based system. ( Less Wine and more Dew I could apply
to my own comments :-/ )

Do other developers have objections to moving the website to XSLT (like
the manual) instead of the current Velocity/Anakia?

-Paul Querna