httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: Web site translation
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:37:06 GMT
* Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:

> By and large, I think the core developers are the ones who place most of
> the content on the website - not the documentation group.  Perhaps that
> could change...but I think the httpd docs group as a whole have
> historically paid little attention to our web content.

The most things that are changed, *are* documention pages (not only httpd,
of course)... Other things just seem to include the download page, the front
page and the contributor's page (I may be wrong). From time to time new
project pages. But I don't see any real *maintenance*. That's what the docs
team could (and probably happily would) take over. At least this
sounds like a great idea of task sharing.

> Honestly, I'd strongly prefer that any efforts on the website focus on
> content not style first.  Converting it to XSLT bores me as it doesn't
> solve any real problems we have.  I believe our more pressing problem is
> that we have lots and lots of outdated information on there that we need
> to clean up and fix. So, IMHO, any effort towards refreshing the look
> should also focus on updating content.  And, not updating the English
> version *first* makes the translators' job more difficult as they'd be
> translating useless content that'd be thrown out later as people clean up
> the English versions.

Yes, of course.

The point for xslt is, that it's just a well known standard with well known
behaviour. Velocity is not.

> > Said that; of course we'll try to keep the process as close as possible
> > to the current one, it's of our all interest ;-). But if we can make
> > things better, we *need* to change stuff. Which is a good thing [TM],
> > simply because the current site is *really* ancient.
>
> I take it you either have blocked out what was on there previous to the
> Anakia version or forgotten.  =)  *I* think it's rather 'new.'  But, I
> guess I'm starting to be an old greybeard around here.  Oh no!  (/me
> recoils from the folks who still consider me a clueless newbie.)  --
> justin

Oh, I was talking about content and layout, i.e. the stuff that site
maintainers usually happen to touch. And by the way, the pre-anakia stuff is
*still there*. That's what me disturbes ;-)

I'm going to make a test system (may need a while, but I'm not starting at
zero). If it's at a certain stage, I'll propose it. If it's accepted - good,
if not, good, too. I'll have learned a lot either way ;)

nd