httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: Web site translation
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:25:26 GMT
* Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> --On Monday, November 29, 2004 6:33 PM -0700 Paul Querna
>
> <chip@force-elite.com> wrote:
> > Do other developers have objections to moving the website to XSLT (like
> > the manual) instead of the current Velocity/Anakia?
>
> I would recommend that any initial XSLT source transforms be kept as
> close to the Anakia templates as possible.  (i.e. keep <section>, etc.)
> Otherwise, we're only going to change it to change it and we shouldn't
> have to force ourselves to learn something new just because one or two
> think it's cool - and that's bad.
>
> My secondary goal is that we should ensure the build process and file
> layout is as simple as it is now with httpd-site.  If it doesn't work or
> is confusing, people will tend to ignore the site.  IMHO, this is
> probably why some developers don't touch the docs as they might
> otherwise.  -- justin

Most developers are bad in writing documentation with either system. The
only thing the current system brought, were inconsistencies. Look at the
site. It's ugly, it's inconsistent, there are a lot of different styles on
every corner. Actually, I don't think, that it's going to be worse if we do
anything.

Said that; of course we'll try to keep the process as close as possible to
the current one, it's of our all interest ;-). But if we can make things
better, we *need* to change stuff. Which is a good thing [TM], simply
because the current site is *really* ancient.

nd
--
"Das Verhalten von Gates hatte mir bewiesen, dass ich auf ihn und seine
beiden Gefährten nicht zu zählen brauchte" -- Karl May, "Winnetou III"

Im Westen was neues: <http://pub.perlig.de/books.html#apache2>