httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: Web site translation
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:38:44 GMT
* Yoshiki Hayashi wrote:

> I think it puts too much burden on documentation writers.  I
> mildly protested to the current way of putting out of date
> warning on all outdated translations no matter what.

Oh? I must have overlooked that. But to be clear, it's not to blame the
translators. It's meant as a help for the user.

> But it
> is actually quite easy to sync translation when the change
> is not extensive so in that case warning doesn't stay long.
>
> > Another approach could be to mark all translated pages with a link to
> > the english version and a note/warning if the english version is newer.
> > (Just throwing out ideas - I'm not quite sure what I think would be the
> > best way to go).
>
> It's actually already done for manual translation and I
> think it will be done for website translation, too.

yep. We could even add priorities to the documents (only two, "important"
and "normal"). Important would be, say, the frontpage and perhaps a few
others. An update of an important English page would invalidate the
translation, a normal page would get a warning (like the docs).

nd
--
"Solides und umfangreiches Buch"
                                          -- aus einer Rezension