httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: Web site translation
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:52:28 GMT
* Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> --On Monday, November 29, 2004 11:44 AM +0900 Yoshiki Hayashi
>
> <yoshiki@xemacs.org> wrote:
> > More than a year after I proposed web site translation, I
> > finally sat down for a while and did necessary coding to add
> > translation support.
>
> BTW, this might need to be discussed on dev@httpd as well.  This is going
> to affect all developers who touch the site.

In fact, I wanted to wait until we have the new layout and a better build
system (with xslt). We also need to think about the paths of the
translation in conclusion with the docs etc.

> >   Does anyone object to the direction we are going? i.e.,
> >   having translation of web site at all?
>
> No, not really.  However, I'm concerned about how long the translations
> could stay out of sync.  There's going to be times when we try to post an
> urgent notice and if the translator is asleep (or AWOL for a few weeks),
> then that's troublesome.  One idea: perhaps when we change the English
> version of a page, we pull all translations until the individual
> translation is sync'd up?

That could be done similar to the docs. Either a note on the top or just
dropping outdated translation (perhaps a combination).

> >   Now that we have true version control software, I think
> >   the way to go is to create a branch like Paul did.
> >   I'm going to create
> >   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/site/branches/translation
> >   unless someone objects.
> >   Is there any policy on how to create and use branch?
>
> That's fine, I guess.  However, if we have two branches going: one for
> css deployment and translation, that could end up being nasty to merge
> back together....

One of the reasons I would wait.

nd
--