httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Astrid Ke├čler <k...@kess-net.de>
Subject Re: Web site translation
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:24:24 GMT
> More than a year after I proposed web site translation, I
> finally sat down for a while and did necessary coding to add
> translation support.
>
> The demo is available at http://www.apache.org/~yoshiki/httpd-site/
> Note that only index.html at top level is translated into
> Japanese.  Also note that links at the left side menu are
> broken because of the way transformation is done.  You can
> type in the relative portion of some of the URLs there.
>
> Now my questions are:
>
>   Does anyone object to the direction we are going? i.e.,
>   having translation of web site at all?

It's on my mind since I started with documentation translation to get a
translated web site too - some day ;)
No objections - quite the contrary.

>   Now that we have true version control software, I think
>   the way to go is to create a branch like Paul did.
>   I'm going to create
>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/site/branches/translation
>   unless someone objects.
>   Is there any policy on how to create and use branch?

Hm, please, don't use branches. This would differ completely from the
way we do translation at our documentation. Let's use the same structure
- and as well the same build system. I would prefer a general xslt based
build system. It is really flexible and most of the work has already
been done.

 Kess