httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <>
Subject Re: Documentation URLs
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:19:11 GMT

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Astrid Ke├čler wrote:

>> What primarily bugs me is two things:
>> 1) That /docs/ is the 1.3 documentation, while we're trying to present a
>> message that 2.0 is the Right Thing To Use.
>> If the canonical documentation URL "/docs/" points to 1.3, then
>> *obviously* 1.3 must be the recommended version.
> What about moving docs to docs-1.3 and adding an info page to docs? Such
> a page could inform the user about the move, the existing versions and
> maybe a (dynamicly created) link to the corresponding 1.3 manual page,
> the user originally requested. This won't break anything but offers a
> central entry point to _all_ manual versions.

This is fine if people want.  The info page could be restricted to just
the root, with other requests getting auto-redirected.

But note this could have adverse effects for things like google searches.
Google would probably see the redirect and wipe out all the good karma we
get from links to those pages.

View raw message