httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Shorten the default config and the distribution (was: IfModule in the Default Config)
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:30:11 GMT

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> I'm trying to understand what other anomalies you mean between
> Unix and Win32, they aren't that dis-similar.

I was mainly refering to the big block of mpm-control directives near the
top.

But I like the suggestion of getting rid of almost all of that (besides
some basic things like MaxClients) and not discriminating against non-unix
mpms.

> We have httpd-std.conf.in and ssl-std.conf.in, why not break
> some of these more lengthy 'passages' into their very own
> includes?  First and foremost, httpd-intl.conf.in - this
> would take tons of lines across and leave a couple lines

Honestly, I prefer the one-config format, because I think it is easier for
the new user to find what is going on if they know everything is in one
file.  But this is a situation where personal preferences will vary.

But I have a compromise suggestion (based on Manoj's idea).  What about a
conf/examples/ directory that would contain a bunch of little files with
config snipets (like international.conf.in, proxy.conf.in,
vhosts.conf.in).  Given the name of the directory, I would expect people
to either copy-paste the stuff in httpd.conf or move the file before
Include'ing it.  I wouldn't provide commented-out Include directives for
these files.

Joshua.