httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Shorten the default config and the distribution (was: IfModule in the Default Config)
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:43:16 GMT

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> How about separating the "example" and "default" configs? Make the default
> config short, but provide an example config with all the meat that can be
> easily cut-and-pasted.

Or put richer examples in the docs.  We have been working on that a
little.  Some of the module docs now come with a nice example config at
the top which can be cut-pasted into httpd.conf (see
mod_dav/mod_cache/mod_proxy/mod_defalte for examples).

> For example, I think <IfModule> lines in a config file are usually a bad
> idea, since the webserver should complain loudly if a needed module isn't
> present, instead of just ignoring the situation.

I've always been a strong supporter of that argument.  I frequently see
people on the users list who try a directive and find that it doesn't work
and they get no error message.  If they removed the <IfModule> they would
get a nice message telling them why it didn't work.

But there are several people who have argued strongly that they want the
default config to work regardless of what modules people include in their
build.

> +1 to your proposal in the meantime (given my proposal above). I'd probably
> just get rid of all of the per-mpm stuff even. The mpms should have
> reasonable default values, so unless the admin needs to make a specific
> change, there should be no need for any of those directives in the default
> config.

+1!

If any changes in the defaults are necessary, then this would need to be
2.1 only.  But I guess we are mostly talking about 2.1 in general anyway.

Joshua.