httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject Re: Documentation URLs
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:09:09 GMT
What about an auto-script for /docs/* that says (lets use the
example of /docs/mod/directives.html)

The httpd docs project team has split the information for your
convenience between the following versions, please indicate
which version you are using;

  Apache httpd 1.3      /docs-1.3/mod/directives.html
  Apache httpd 2.0      /docs-2.0/mod/directives.html
  Apache httpd 2.1-dev  /docs-2.2/mod/directives.html

You can update your bookmarks according.

... Another option would also be, add a checkbox for a doc cookie,
'Always choose this version', which would bypass this page and
always redirect that browser to the right section.

At 12:19 PM 9/24/2004, you wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Astrid Ke├čler wrote:
>>>What primarily bugs me is two things:
>>>1) That /docs/ is the 1.3 documentation, while we're trying to present a
>>>message that 2.0 is the Right Thing To Use.
>>>If the canonical documentation URL "/docs/" points to 1.3, then
>>>*obviously* 1.3 must be the recommended version.
>>What about moving docs to docs-1.3 and adding an info page to docs? Such
>>a page could inform the user about the move, the existing versions and
>>maybe a (dynamicly created) link to the corresponding 1.3 manual page,
>>the user originally requested. This won't break anything but offers a
>>central entry point to _all_ manual versions.
>This is fine if people want.  The info page could be restricted to just the root, with
other requests getting auto-redirected.
>But note this could have adverse effects for things like google searches. Google would
probably see the redirect and wipe out all the good karma we get from links to those pages.
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: