httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Astrid Ke├čler <k...@kess-net.de>
Subject Re: Documentation URLs
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:07:41 GMT
> What primarily bugs me is two things:
> 1) That /docs/ is the 1.3 documentation, while we're trying to present a
> message that 2.0 is the Right Thing To Use.

> If the canonical documentation URL "/docs/" points to 1.3, then
> *obviously* 1.3 must be the recommended version.

What about moving docs to docs-1.3 and adding an info page to docs? Such
a page could inform the user about the move, the existing versions and
maybe a (dynamicly created) link to the corresponding 1.3 manual page,
the user originally requested. This won't break anything but offers a
central entry point to _all_ manual versions.

> 2) That we'll end up with a progressively larger number of documentation
> trees that will have to be maintained.

> It's already a pain to patch the 2.0 and 2.1 docs. What will it be like
> by version 2.24?

It's not only a docs issue. It is also a general development problem.
Our developers are also maintaining three versions. Eventually we will
have to stop maintanance of older httpd versions. At this point we will
also stop maintenance of the corresponding manual.

> That's the sense in it. At least from my perspective. Having /docs/
> point to the current (2.0) docs, and having ErrorDocument 404's to
> handle URLs that are no longer valid in the 2.0 docs, seems to
> completely handle the "breaks links" issue.

I don't think so. As suggested above I would prefer docs to show some
information and list all available documentations, not only the current
stable version or any other single version.

> It seems
> to me, however, that linking /docs/ to the 1.3 docs for all time
> henceforth is not the right decision.

+1

Kess