httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo>
Subject Re: Documentation URLs
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:37:16 GMT
* Rich Bowen <> wrote:

> As we hope, maybe, some day soon, to move into the 2.2 branch, and then,
> some day, 2.4, and so on, we're going to continue to face the challenge
> of what the URLs for the documentation should be. Having docs-2.0,
> docs-2.2, docs-2.4, etc, is sucky and not scalable.
> It seems that each time we discuss this, the discussion doesn't reach
> any real conclusions. Or at least, I haven't seen any yet. If I missed
> something, feel free to point me at the archives. I just kinda feel that
> we need to figure out something in advance, rather than being reactive
> when the time comes.

This was voted some time ago:

(which doesn't mean, of course, that it could not be discussed further ;)

> How about ...
> /docs-stable/  -- Current released version (2.0 now)
> /docs-dev/     -- Current development version (2.1 now)j

I think, stable URLs (with version numbers) are better here, because there are
many references out there, which would break otherwise.

A compromise could be to add such URLs as placeholders (i.e. redirects) to
the appropriate docs directory, but I don't see much sense in this.

"Die Untergeschosse der Sempergalerie bleiben währenddessen aus
 statistischen Gründen geflutet." -- Spiegel Online

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message