httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Astrid Keßler <k...@kess-net.de>
Subject Re: Documentation URLs
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2004 21:55:14 GMT
Joshua wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Astrid Keßler wrote:

>>> What primarily bugs me is two things:
>>> 1) That /docs/ is the 1.3 documentation, while we're trying to present a
>>> message that 2.0 is the Right Thing To Use.
>>
>>> If the canonical documentation URL "/docs/" points to 1.3, then
>>> *obviously* 1.3 must be the recommended version.
>>
>> What about moving docs to docs-1.3 and adding an info page to docs? Such
>> a page could inform the user about the move, the existing versions and
>> maybe a (dynamicly created) link to the corresponding 1.3 manual page,
>> the user originally requested. This won't break anything but offers a
>> central entry point to _all_ manual versions.

> This is fine if people want.  The info page could be restricted to just
> the root, with other requests getting auto-redirected.

> But note this could have adverse effects for things like google searches.
> Google would probably see the redirect and wipe out all the good karma we
> get from links to those pages.

It is just a (imho short) question of time Google (and other search
engines) will renew their index and rebuild the karma for the new URIs.
Not to change the meaning of /docs will do us much more pain. I don't
want to hear "hey, forget apache. their docs are really outdated". And
this is, what may (will?) come some day, if we keep our current URI
structure.

Kess