httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: Documentation URLs
Date Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:57:49 GMT
On 25.09.2004, at 11:07, Astrid Ke├čler wrote:

>> I'd like to see more of a concrete statement of what problem we are
>> trying
>> to solve.  If it is just a question of ugly urls, I don't think it is
>> worth solving.
>
> Ough. Well, I'll try to make it more clear:
> We better offer an overview page at /docs and, for backwards
> compatibility, link to the new URI generated from the request line.
> We should have done the move much earlier, but have not. So we should
> do it now. The longer we wait, the harder will it be.

+1 to an overview page at /docs. I also like Will's suggestion to use a
more verbose page for the then lost URIs under /docs/* instead of just
simply auto-redirecting to the new location under /docs-1.3/. This
should also help Google, I think...

Reaching the 1.3 docs when going to /docs bugged me for quite some time
now but to be honest, I didn't dare to ask for opinions ;)

Cheers,
Erik