httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: FYI: bug statistics httpd-1.3/httpd-2.0
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:51:46 GMT
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Erik Abele wrote:

> I'm building some simple (but nice) statistics based on the
> weekly bug reports mailed out to the dev- and bug-list:
>
> http://www.apache.org/~erikabele/httpd/bugstats/
>
> The stats are updated every sunday just after the reports
> are mailed out. The script which produces the PNGs is also
> available at the above URL.

We've just been discussing this on IRC.

We have a gradual but inexorable accumulation of bugs.  Some of them
have become kind-of permanent fixtures, perhaps because noone can
reproduce them or noone feels willing&able to deal with them.
Rather a lot of them are simply too vague to deal with.

Perhaps what we need is more clearly defined responsibilities in
dealing with them.  Each component has a bugmaster tasked with
dealing with bugs attached to the component.  That could mean
fixing it, discussing it on this list (including asking for
someone else to fix it), and crucially also taking responsibility
for closing bugs with INVALID, WONTFIX or WORKSFORME where no
satisfactory resolution is/seems feasible.

--
Nick Kew