httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Mads Toftum <m...@toftum.dk>
Subject Re: Rewrite Guide/Cookbook
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:22:07 GMT
On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 04:36:43PM -0400, Rich Bowen wrote:
> Motivated by IRC and the difficulty of finding useful examples in the
> Rewrite Guide which match real-world problems, I've been tinkering with
> the idea of building a mod_rewrite cookbook. I actually spoke with
> @publishers about this idea, but so far no interest has developed.

I should think that the subject is too limited to make much more than
a small booklet ;) I've found the rewrite guide very useful over time,
but maybe I'm a bad example because I started out by reading and
understanding mod_rewrite.html before reading the guide.

> Anyways, I spoke with some folks on IRC, and they suggested that the
> cookbook approach might be useful for a variety of topics. We already
> have one for virtual hosts. One for SSI, SSL, and various other topics,
> might be well received.

Cookbook / howto / faq - all different names for very similar things.
What I like about the approach is that it breaks away from the manual
style and works with solutions to real problems as its base. Actually,
the rewrite guide attempts something similar - sure, it isn't all up
to date, relevant and easy to understand for the beginner - but the
focus is the same: use examples to illustrate the workings of a very
complex module.

> I mention that because, if/when I do the mod_rewrite cookbook, it would
> be nice if we could put it in a directory path that would be condusive
> to expanding the area in the future to encompass other "cookbook"
> topics.
>
> Thoughts?

I think we need to sort through the different guides, howtos and such
to see if we could find a more common style and somewhere to place then.

> Meanwhile, I'm tinkering with http://rewrite.drbacchus.com/ (yes, it's a
> wiki) for the content. I'm just starting, so there's not much there yet.

I like the idea of grouping the examples. I think that might be the
right way to go for the updating of the mod_rewrite docs that we have
been talking about for a couple of years now.
Spare time is not something I've had too much of lately, but I'd
certainly want to give a hand with the mod_rewrite docs and I suppose
some of the examples from my mod_rewrite talk could be useful.

vh

Mads Toftum