httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual urlmapping.xml.ja
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:22:43 GMT

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Yoshiki Hayashi wrote:

> Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> writes:
>
>> I've always leaned towards the more relaxed side of review standards on
>> translations, but our concensus policy has always been to have reviews on
>> anything non-english.
>
> I believe the original intention to have reviews on
> translations was to prevent absurd translation to go into
> our repository.

People have also stated concerns about people deliberately putting garbage
in the docs ("Free Tibet").  I am not personally concerned about that.

>> I'm personally willing to see commit-then-review on small changes, as long
>> as the two of you promise to watch the commits and to inform us if you
>> ever stop watching the commits.
>
> It seems nobody cared about review of Japanese translation
> when I was the only committer.

Well, I sort of thought that there was reviewing going on
behind-the-scenes for the stuff you committed.

> I wonder why is this sudden
> interest?  I'm curious because I've never seen the rule
> enforced strictly except the translation is the first
> submission of someone.  I also thought it *was* mostly for
> non-committer patch submission.

I'm not the right person to argue with on this subject, since, as I've
said, I'm in favour of relaxed standards.  I also agree that, over the
years, we have spent way too much time debating this issue.  But as an
issue of oversight, I thought it important not to change our standards
under-the-covers.  Now that this issue is out in the open, anyone who
objects should speak up.

I assume that your proposed standards are something like:

- All translations from non-committers must be reviewed before being
committed.
- Commit access will not be granted to a translator until we have
developed a degree of trust in his or her translations.  (For example, if
we post the translated and reviewed docs for a period of time and get no
objections from our readers, then this would be a reason to trust the
translator.)
- If a translator is given commit access *and* there is at least one other
active participant who is fluent in that language (and reads the commit
mailing list), then small translations and updates may be committed
without prior review.  Translations of new docs should still get reviewed
prior to commit.

Joshua.