httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Switched from iso-2022-jp to euc-jp (was: Japanese transformation is not stable)
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:57:25 GMT
* Yoshiki Hayashi <yoshiki@xemacs.org> wrote:

> André Malo <nd@perlig.de> writes:
>
> > Hmm. It still happens, that different JREs (?) produce different
> > iso-2022-jp output (i.e. any time someone builds all and diffs, he gets
> > .ja.jis diffs.
>
> Well, at least mine removes bogus escape sequences and
> produce more desirable output but yeah, it still happens.
>
> > I'd suggest to switch the transformation finally to shift_jis, which is
> > more stable (because there are none of these problematic escape
> > sequences).
>
> I'd rather use euc-jp than shift_jis.  For one thing,
> shift_jis is a nightmare for auto detection since almost all
> byte sequence can represent a valid character.  If I choose
> from three major character encoding scheme in Japan, I
> always choose euc-jp.  It doesn't have quirks sjis has.  The
> fact that current one uses iso-2022-jp is just from legacy
> reasons.

Done. If you encounter build problems or cvs conflicts, run

build extraclean all

and cvs up the tree again (hoping that you've perl installed).

I've added a 301 Redirection to the online docs from *.html.ja.his to
*.html.ja.euc-jp. After some reasonable time (some months) I plan to replace
it with 410 and later to remove it finally to keep our stuff clean from legacy
things.

nd
--
Winnetous Erbe: <http://pub.perlig.de/books.html#apache2>