httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Spanish docu translations ?!
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:00:56 GMT

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Fernando Antolin wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> Why isn't there anyone supervising the translation projects?
>
> It cannot be too difficult to establish translation groups for every
> language.
>
> Well, it would be quite easier to see if there is someone working on a
> language or if the documentation hasn't been translated since two years
> ago... see spanish docu... e.g. http://quark.fe.up.pt/ApachES/
>
> Hope you understand my constructive critics.

To my knowledge, there are so few people actually working on translations
that establishing formal "translations groups" would be impossible.

Here's the most important fact: Work gets done when people do the work.
That includes the translations themselves, as well as any supporting
infrastructure.  If you think it would be helpful to have a fancy web page
where translation status was automatically updated, then please go ahead
and create one.  We'll be happy to provide feedback, and certainly a link
to your site.  Putting this sort of thing on the httpd.apache.org site
would involve a bunch of complicating factors, and probably wouldn't be
worth it, at least initially.  But that doesn't mean you can't do it
yourself.

There is never going to be simple web form that allows you to do
translations on line.  The docs are way too complicated for that.

As far as work not getting committed, I'll repeat again what I've said: if
you get ignored, simply resubmit.  We are actually quite good on
docs@httpd at responding to contributors, but that doesn't mean we catch
every single thing the first time.

Joshua.