httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Done with LaTeX ;-)
Date Sun, 04 Apr 2004 03:26:28 GMT

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Rich Bowen wrote:
> I gather that sitemap.tex is the file that I need to run latex on?

Yep.  I use simply
pdflatex sitemap.tex

To get all the cross-references and table of contents generated correctly,
you'll need to run that command several times.  But it seems you aren't
getting far enough to worry about that.

> I'm
> not entirely sure, since it's not building. It's yakking on
>
> l.45 \maketitle
>
> Still trying to track down where this is happening, but no joy so far.

Hmmm... \maketitle is pretty standard LaTeX.  What error are you getting?
(Not that latex errors tend to be very instructive for non-texperts like
me, but...)  Are there any nasty-looking warnings before that?

What are you using as your latex processor?

Is your generated sitemap.tex exactly the same as mine?
(/x1/home/slive/httpd-2.0/docs/manual/sitemap.tex)

If I had to guess, I'd say that you are running latex instead of pdflatex,
and that latex is barfing on the \includegraphics inside the \title, since
latex doesn't know how to include png (or gif) files.  If you want to use
plain latex, try removing the \includegraphics.

In the long run, if we want to allow latex (as opposed to pdflatex) to
process the docs, we'll need to have the graphics in a format latex can
understand.  Unfortunately, pdflatex and latex don't share many graphics
formats in common.

If I haven't guessed your problem, then please give me more details.

Joshua.