httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Please fix http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html
Date Sun, 21 Mar 2004 15:39:36 GMT

[Top-posting to retain whole thread... See below.]

Sorry about that Rick.  I'm the one who originally placed that link
(although I got it from the Jakarta project's page).  I really don't
remember your name being there originally.  Has the authorship changed
over time?

It is really incredible how ... stupid ... (I can't think of a better
word) people can be when searching for answers to a technical problem.
You'll notice that we have almost no email addresses on the apache site
for exactly this reason.  No matter what you say, some people will just
keep clicking until they find an email address, then send to it regardless
of what it is meant for.  (You should see all the email and bug reports we
get from people claiming that "apache stole my website!".)

I do have a suggestion for you: Absolutely the first thing you see on your
page is your email address, while the actual content (including
disclaimer) doesn't come until you page-down about five times.  I bet at
least 90% of the problem would go away if you simply moved your email
address to the bottom of the page.

Anyway, I'm copying this message to our docs list.  Hopefully someone
there has the time to quickly update these pages as you requested.  If
not, I'll get to it sometime next week.

Joshua.